The 60-Year Journey of Blackshear Place
In 1955, 37 visionaries set out to change their community and ended up changing the world
Seeing the story of Blackshear Place begins in the rural farmland of the mid-1950s. Only farmhouses dotted the landscape where Atlanta Highway and Winder Highway met. Hoyt Wallis’ grocery store was the center of social activity, and it was there that talk began of establishing a new church. It was March of 1955 when 37 charter members saw that initial vision become a reality. With $4,000, they purchased four acres on the corner of an intersection and started our story.
We would not build our first worship center until 1968 with a church membership of 194. Within 10 years, however, the church membership would swell 495 percent. Eight men would serve as pastor before November of 2003 when the church extended a call to Jeff W. Crook. With a membership in excess of 8,000, we continue to see lives changed.